Garden Fresh and Southern Cooking

August 05, 2013

There is nothing better then fresh veggies from your own (or parents) garden, and if you've ever experienced this, you know what I'm talking about. Tomatoes, corn, squash, purple hull peas, green beans, pepper, watermelon, and the list goes on. I've always been blessed that my dad puts out a huge garden every year and so does my father-in-law, so it's rare that I leave either house without veggies to take home when the garden comes in. 

Vegetarian meals in the summer were and are a regular occurrence with my family during the summer and this meal was no different. Fried squash and green tomatoes from the garden, and I baked some zucchini, which didn't make it to the garden this year so they came from the grocery, please don't hate me. But seriously, there's nothing better.  

In case you've never fried veggies, here's what you need:
Frying pan (we prefer cast iron)
Canola oil
Corn meal
Salt
Pepper
And of course which ever veggies you choose.

Heat the frying pan with the oil. You know the oil is ready to use when you sprinkle some corn meal in it and it fizzles or bubbles.  Just mix the salt and pepper in the corn meal to taste. Slice up your veggies, according to the thickness you prefer. 


Cover the slices in the corn meal, the natural juices in e veggies will be enough to make it stick, and then they're ready for the frying pan! 

Juicy green tomatoes!

Yummy Summer or Yellow Squash!


I wish I could tell you a time to cook for on each side, but unfortunately it's just something you have to watch and experiment with. The cornmeal should be a little brown on both sides, and you can test by tasting after they cool to make sure the slices are cooked through. 




When done, place the slices on a plate covered with paper towels to drain the extra grease off, wait till cool, and enjoy! 


Are there other veggies you like to fry up or different coatings you use? Do you grow a garden every year or grow interesting fruits or vegetables? 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. love love love this! fried okra is another favorite! can't wait to have space to grow a garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I love fried okra, I can't believe I didn't mention it! Thank you!

      Delete

Like us on Facebook