Cheesy Grilled Corn Quinoa

May 27, 2014

Keen-wah. Quinoa. Keen-wah. Why can't it sound like it's spelled? Right? Oh whale. It's super deliciousness makes up for it I guess! I love trying new things, especially foods, more specifically, healthy foods, and quinoa was next on my list. I've looked up tons of recipes but for a first try, I decided this one would be best! I really had no idea what to expect, I'd never seen the stuff anywhere except on tv. It came in this tiny bag and was like, $5. I thought, this will probably be a one time thing, who can afford to eat it all the time?! But I got it anyway, yolo, right?

I found the recipe through and article on Brit + Co. Seriously, it's the best new thing out there, like Pinterest, but better, because it's all in articles with original sources and explanations, but I digress. It's probably one of the easiest dishes I've ever made too! I made adjustments from the original recipe, so here's mine! 

What you need: 
Quinoa (1 cup, uncooked)
Cheese (4-6 oz. shredded)
Corn (3-4 ears, you could use a can instead)
Chicken Broth (2 cups, or 1 can) 
Butter (2 tablespoons) 

*warning, 1 cup of quinoa turns into about 6 (or so it seems) after it's cooked. This recipe totally allows you to make adjustments according to taste, just make sure to measure the broth accordingly. 


First, pour the chicken broth in a pan, and add quinoa, set on high, till it starts to boil, then turn it down and cover it so that it simmers for about 15 minutes. 


When it's done, it should be kinda like rice, all soft and stuff after fluffing it with a fork. 



While the quinoa is cooking, grab your corn (if using ears) and shuck them. Turn your grill on and let it heat up, I turned mine on about medium heat. You can put some Olive oil on the ears along with some salt and pepper if you like, but leaving them plain is fine too. Stick them on the grill, turning them every few minutes. If some of the kernels get charred, it's fine, you just wanna make sure they're at least mostly cooked. If you like crunchier, cook less, soft, cook more, totally up to you. 


When they're done, (the quinoa should still be cooking) let cool for a few minutes, or use an oven mitt or something to hold the corn when you cut it off the cob. Cut the tops of the kernels off with a knife, then turn the knife over, raking the juices and pieces of kernel left on the ear off. 


When the quinoa is done, add the cheese, butter, and corn immediately and stir till all the cheese is melted, and you're done! It's super and incredibly delicious. It's also really great leftover! Seriously, I've been eating it for lunch for like 4 days and it's better than it was the day I cooked it. Yummy. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product alone, but I did grab one of the finished plate, bourbon salmon, avocado corn salad, and homemade placemats included. 


Quinoa is like a healthier, little bit nutty tasting, substitute for rice. I'm certain you could literally put anything in it and it would be delicious. I've even seen breakfast recipes, and I would much prefer quinoa over oatmeal! Have you tried quinoa? What's your favorite recipe?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This looks SO good! Thank you so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. No wonder you're so thin and trim. Look at your portion size. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook