Recently I got the opportunity to have my good friend Rachael of Rachael Houser Photography take some photos of me and a couple outfits, and I'm SO excited to be posting this one, in honor of finally having a cohesive blog! I am so in love with her photography and she did, as always, such an amazing job! Thank you Rachael! I was hoping to get everything ironed out by this last Sunday for Style Sunday but, oh whale, things happen and it turned into a Friday Favorite because well, these amazing photos are my favorite this week! I hope you enjoy!
Friday, February 28, 2014
Thursday, February 27, 2014
I love a good shoe, it's one of those things I'll either spend a significant amount or nothing for, but investing in your feet is always a good idea. I've been inquired of about "preppy" shoes, so, here are my favorite picks! A few specific must haves, a GREAT pair of riding boots (investment type boots), Sperry Top-Siders, Jack Rogers, Bean Boots, Hunters, and a great pair of smoking slippers (you seriously can't go wrong with a leopard printed pair).
Saturday, February 22, 2014
It's that time of year, Spring trends are rolling out via designer runway shows and over a series of posts I'll be showing all my lovely readers how to translate the amazing runway looks to every day wear. The first trend is all about the collared shirt. Already a staple in your closet you say? Wonderful! You're already a step ahead of the game. We're not talking just the go-to oxford, but your hubby's business shirt, dresses, oversized, printed, any and every color, and even extreme collars. Maybe neither you or I are daring enough for the runway looks below, but I've put together some amazing shirts we can all add to our closet and not only wear this spring but for the foreseeable future.
Images via Harpers Bazaar
Friday, February 21, 2014
My recent visit to Vineyard Vines left me craving some of their new spring line and they're my Friday Favorites this Friday! (Obviously) I've been craving another Shep Shep shirt for a while but I'm so undecided as to which color to get, I went against my usual impulse and got a light green and I'm still so drawn to the navy but I'm loving this light pink and white! And I can never have enough button-downs, but I'm loving these popovers, especially in plaid! And the shorts, I mean, how could you not love them?
Thursday, February 20, 2014
I'll be doing some posts over the next few weeks on prep essentials, starting with clothing. These are things every self-proclaimed prep should have in her closet. I stick to the belief that it's not all about the brand, it's about style. I'll admit I'm a habitual button-down/sweater combo kind of girl during the cold months and an oxford/chino kind of girl in the warmer months, but those aren't the only fabulous preppy outfits out there, below I have some of my favorite preppy pieces!
1. Seersucker. You can never go wrong with seersucker. Also, how adorable is that dress?
2. Oxford button-downs. Classic.
3. The Striped Shirt. Will always and forever be a preppy classic, navy and white are even more of a perfect color combination when used in a striped shirt.
4. A Vineyard Vines Shep Shirt. There is no other pullover you'll ever need. Dress it up, dress it down, it's always appropriate.
5. A Barbour Jacket. This item has yet to grace my closet but it will. Hopefully sooner than later.
6. Quilted Vests. J. Crew is the obvious choice and I still can't get over this herringbone one that I decided to wait on when they first came out and just like that, gone forever. But any and every color needs to be in my closet, I'm unashamed to say I'm totally vest obsessed.
7. Cable Knit Sweaters. Ralph Lauren and BrooksB Brothers kind of have a lock on the classic preppy cable knit, but I can tell you that I'll never turn one down especially if it's navy.
8. Plaid. Fall/Winter prep must have. Shirts, skirts, pants, coats, any and everything looks good in plaid.
9. A leather belt. Having an anchor is just a gigantic plus.
10. Chinos. Shorts, pants, in every color is completely necessary. J. Crew, vineyard Vines and Lilly are some of my favorite with the amazing bright and classic colors and the non-hoochy lengths at an average of 5" inseams which are not too long but still classy, and even the 3" inseams aren't too short, but if there's one thing being preppy doesn't entail, it's being trashy.
11. Lilly Pulitzer. The ultimate preppy girl's dream is having a closet full of Lilly. Bright, fun, classy, and totally classic, it will always be in style in the prep world and one day your daughters and granddaughters will fall in love with your "vintage Lilly." I love mine and if you don't have some yet, I can guarantee that when you do you'll fall in love. You never forget your first Lilly.